Introduction: Craving KFC Recipe Air Fryer Style?
Ever had those days where you just can’t shake your craving for KFC’s crispy, juicy chicken, but you’re trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle? Well, good news! You can now recreate the magic at home with a KFC recipe air fryer rendition. This method gives you the same delicious seasoning mix and crunchy coating, without all the extra calories associated with deep frying. Plus, you’ll have loads of fun in the process!
Data-Driven Cooking: Air Frying vs Deep Frying
Air frying is a healthier alternative to deep frying. It uses hot air circulation and minimal oil to cook your chicken pieces, resulting in a dish that’s just as tasty but with less fat content. Personal experience and data from loads of small batches have shown that an air fryer recipe can produce similar results to a deep fat fryer, without the extra calories.
Create the Perfect Flour Mixture
For the best results, your flour mixture needs to be on point. You need a combination of different flours and spices to replicate the original recipe. The most obvious way to get this right is by using cups of flour, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, white pepper, black pepper, and dry mustard. Mix all these ingredients in a large bowl and you’re set to make your homemade KFC.
Bread Your Chicken: Making the Breading Stick
Next, you’ll need to prepare your chicken pieces. Whether it’s chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken legs, chicken wings, or even a whole chicken, the process is the same. Dip each piece of chicken into the flour mixture, ensuring it’s well coated. You can use large eggs and a bit of hot sauce to help the breading stick. Afterward, let the chicken rest on a wire rack for a few minutes.
Get Cooking: The Air Fryer Recipe
Now comes the fun part! Preheat your air fryer to f degrees. Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray. Add your chicken pieces to the basket in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd it. Cook time will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces, but generally, the cooking time is shorter than traditional fried chicken.
Ensuring the Perfect Cook: Checking Internal Temperature
To ensure your chicken is perfectly cooked, check the internal temperature. This is crucial especially when cooking chicken breast or chicken thighs, which are larger and require more cook time. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Once done, place your cooked chicken on a baking sheet lined with a wire rack to let it cool.
Replicating the KFC Taste: The Final Touch
For the ultimate KFC air fryer chicken taste, finish off with a spray of olive oil. This gives it a shiny finish and enhances the flavor. For the most healthy cooking method, choose a lighter oil like olive or vegetable oil. And voila, you have the best copycat KFC chicken right in your own kitchen!
Serving Ideas: What to Serve with Your Copycat KFC Chicken
Now that you’ve mastered the KFC recipe air fryer style, why not serve it up with some classic sides? You can’t go wrong with french fries, coleslaw, or even some hot buttered corn. The possibilities are endless and entirely up to you!
Conclusion: Join the Air Fryer Revolution
So, why wait? Join the air fryer revolution today! You’ll save on calories, enjoy a healthier alternative, and still satisfy your KFC cravings. After all, who says fast food can’t be a part of a healthy lifestyle?
For more tips and tricks like this KFC recipe air fryer style, subscribe to our free newsletter and follow us on social media. Happy air frying!
- 8 pieces of chicken
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Cooking spray
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Start by marinating your chicken. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl or a zip-lock bag, pour in the buttermilk, ensuring all the pieces are coated. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or even better, overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. This will be your coating for the chicken.
- After marinating, remove the chicken from the buttermilk, letting the excess drip off. Then, dredge each piece in the flour mixture, ensuring they are completely coated.
- Place the coated chicken on a rack or tray and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Arrange the chicken pieces in the air fryer basket, leaving space in between each piece for the air to circulate properly.
- Cook the chicken in the air fryer for 10 minutes. Then, flip the chicken pieces, lightly spray them with cooking spray, and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer, let it rest for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if you like, serve hot, and enjoy your homemade, healthier KFC-style chicken!
The cooking time may vary based on the size of your chicken pieces and the model of your air fryer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 25gNet Carbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 28g