If you’re looking for a fun snack to satisfy your little cravings, look no further than Tostilocos! This popular Mexican antojito has made its way to the United States and is now enjoyed by people of all ages. Tostilocos is made using basic ingredients such as tostitos tortilla chips, chili powder, lime juice, hot sauce, and more.
Tostilocos is a street food that originated in Baja California, Mexico. It was first sold by street vendors and quickly gained popularity in the region. Today, it can be found in corner stores and even some American companies have created their own versions of the recipe.
The Spanish word “tosti locos” literally translates to “crazy chips,” and it’s easy to see why. This fun snack is made by layering various ingredients on top of a bag of tortilla chips, creating a colorful and delicious treat.
Javier Rodríguez, a chef in Orange County, California, created his own homemade recipe for Tostilocos using some unique ingredients such as pork rinds, pork skin, Japanese-style peanuts, tamarind candies, and fresh fruit like green apple and diced cucumber. His version of Tostilocos has gained a huge following and is a favorite at game days and parties.
The original recipe for Tostilocos starts with a bag of plain tostitos tortilla chips. The chips are opened along one long side to create a pocket. Then, an even layer of toppings is added such as corn kernels, tomato juice, chile-lime seasoning, and salsa Valentina. Finally, the bag of chips is topped with more chili powder, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try making Tostilocos with other types of chips such as potato chips, nacho cheese Doritos, or even corn chips. Some people also like to add a drizzle of sour chamoy for an extra kick of flavor.
In this post, we’ll show you how to make your own version of Tostilocos at home. We’ll go over the basic ingredients you’ll need and show you how to layer them onto your favorite type of chips. So grab a bag of Tostitos or some crazy chips and let’s get started on making this fun and delicious snack!
- 1 bag of Tostitos tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup of diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup of diced green apple
- 1/4 cup of corn kernels
- 1/4 cup of Japanese peanuts
- 1/4 cup of tamarind candy, chopped
- 1/4 cup of pork rinds
- 1/4 cup of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of sour chamoy
- 1/4 cup of chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Open the bag of Tostitos tortilla chips along one long side to create a pocket.
- Add the diced cucumber, diced green apple, corn kernels, Japanese peanuts, and chopped tamarind candy to the bag of chips.
- Crush the pork rinds and sprinkle them on top of the other ingredients in the bag.
- Drizzle the hot sauce, lime juice, and sour chamoy on top of the ingredients in the bag.
- Sprinkle chili powder and salt on top of everything.
- Shake the bag to mix all the ingredients together and coat the chips with the seasonings.
- Serve the Tostilocos immediately and enjoy!
Feel free to adjust the amount of each ingredient to your liking. You can also add other toppings such as diced mango, jicama, or pickled red onion. The possibilities are endless with Tostilocos!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information may vary based on ingredients used