If you’re looking for a hearty, delicious meal that will satisfy your whole family, look no further than this potato chip casserole recipe. Cheesy chicken combined with a crunchy potato chip topping makes for a fabulous family meal that’s perfect for any day of the week. Let’s dive in and explore this easy chicken casserole recipe that’s not only yummy but also easy to put together.
Why Everyone Loves This Potato Chip Casserole Recipe
There’s something about combining simple ingredients like chicken, cheese, and potato chips that just works. This vintage recipe, known as a chicken potato chip casserole, has been a favorite at family gatherings for years. Its creamy sauce, coupled with the delightful crunch of potato chips, creates a main dish that’s truly a crowd-pleaser.
Preparing Your Baking Dish
Before you start, make sure you have a good-sized casserole dish. A 9×13 baking dish works perfectly for this potato chip chicken casserole recipe. Just give it a light coating of olive oil to prevent sticking and set it aside as you prepare the other ingredients.
Creating the Creamy Sauce
The backbone of this delicious casserole is its creamy sauce. Typically, this involves cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, or cream of celery soup. For a cheesier kick, you can also use condensed cheddar cheese soup. Just heat your chosen soups over medium-high heat until they’re nice and creamy. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper for an extra flavor punch.
Adding the Chicken
You can use any leftover chicken you have on hand for this recipe. Leftover rotisserie chicken or even leftover tuna can make a great addition to this casserole. Just make sure the chicken is shredded or cut into small pieces before you mix it into your creamy sauce.
Bringing in the Crunch
The real star of this potato chip casserole recipe is the crunchy potato chip topping. You can use any brand or flavor of potato chips you like. Just crush them up and sprinkle them on top of the casserole for a crunchy, delicious finish.
Baking Your Casserole
Once you’ve layered your ingredients in the baking dish, it’s time to pop it in the oven. Bake until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly. This usually takes about 30-40 minutes. The end result is a brown casserole with a crispy potato chip crust that your whole family will love.
This cheesy chicken with chips casserole pairs well with a variety of sides. Green beans, brown rice, or even hash browns make a great accompaniment to this hearty meal. If you’re serving it for a holiday gathering, it can hold its own next to favorite holiday side dishes like green bean casserole or funeral potatoes.
Storing Your Leftovers
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this potato chip casserole recipe tastes just as good the next day. Simply store it in an airtight container and reheat when ready to serve. Trust me, this cheesy chicken with chips dish is a gift that keeps on giving.
Final Thoughts on this Potato Chip Casserole Recipe
Whether you’re looking for easy recipes to whip up on a weeknight or a special dish to serve at family gatherings, this potato chip casserole recipe is a winner. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, it’s a tasty meal that will have everyone asking for seconds (or even thirds!).
- 4 Cups Crushed Potato Chips
- 1 Pound Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Can (10.5 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Green Onions, Chopped (For Garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground meat until no longer pink. Add in the chopped onion and minced garlic, continue to cook until the onions become translucent.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese into the meat mixture. Cook on low heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture is well combined.
- Layer half of the crushed potato chips at the bottom of your greased baking dish. Pour the meat and soup mixture over the potato chips, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the mixture, followed by the remaining crushed potato chips.
- Dust the top layer with paprika for added color and flavor.
- Bake your casserole in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped green onions for a pop of color and freshness.
No specific notes for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 700mgCarbohydrates: 40gNet Carbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 20g