Looking for an easy, delicious comfort food that your whole family will love? Look no further than this Cracker Barrel Chicken and Rice recipe! Inspired by the classic dish from the beloved Southern cooking restaurant chain, this rice casserole is a family favorite that’s quick and easy to make, with simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Featuring juicy white meat chicken, creamy chicken soup, and fluffy white rice, this one-pan meal is the perfect comfort food for a cozy night in. And with a crunchy topping made from Ritz crackers and melted butter, it’s sure to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters.
Ready to make this delicious Cracker Barrel discontinued item from the comfort of your own home? Read on or jump to the recipe at the bottom of this post.
To make this delicious chicken and rice recipe, simply place boneless skinless chicken breasts in a baking dish, cover them with a can of cream of chicken soup mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup, and then pour in some milk and cups of water.
Season the mixture with black pepper, garlic salt, and a dash of soy sauce, then cover it with aluminum foil and bake it in a preheated oven until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove the foil and sprinkle a crunchy topping made from crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter over the top of the rice mixture. Then return the dish to the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
This easy meal is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want something delicious but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. And it’s a great recipe to make in large quantities, so you can enjoy it for several meals or share it with friends and family.
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer brown rice over white rice, you can substitute it in this recipe. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and water accordingly, as brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
- To make this recipe even more flavorful, you can add some fresh broccoli or green beans to the rice mixture before baking. You can also try adding some cheddar cheese soup or sour cream to the soup mixture for a creamier, cheesier flavor.
- For a different twist on this classic dish, you can try making a Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken casserole. Simply add some fresh broccoli florets and shredded cheddar cheese to the chicken and rice mixture before baking, and sprinkle some extra cheese on top of the dish before returning it to the oven to bake.
- Looking for other great copycat recipes? Check out this great Chili’s Southwestern Mac & Cheese.
This delicious comfort food is perfect on its own as a main dish, but it also pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Some fan favorites to serve with this recipe include hashbrown casserole, fresh green salad, or a side of steamed wild rice. And for dessert, you can’t go wrong with a classic Southern treat like chocolate pecan pie.
So, whether you’re looking for an easy meal for a busy weeknight or a hearty one-pot meal for a lazy weekend, this delicious chicken and rice recipe is sure to become one of your favorite things to make. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, combine the rice, water, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the rice mixture and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the rice and chicken mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Let the dish cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If you prefer to use brown rice instead of white rice, you can substitute it in this recipe. However, you will need to increase the water by 1/2 to 1 cup and adjust the cooking time accordingly, as brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
- This recipe calls for cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, but you can use other cream soups as well. Cream of celery, cream of broccoli, or cream of asparagus soup would all work well in this recipe.
- To add some extra flavor to this dish, you can try adding some chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms to the rice mixture before baking.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a covered baking dish in the oven until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 876mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g