Welcome to my latest culinary adventure, where I’m ecstatic to share with you my delightful Mexican Coffee Buns recipe. This scrumptious treat has found a special place in my heart, and I know it will for you too. So, let’s dive right into our delicious journey, shall we? If you like this recipe, I recommend checking out my recipe for vegan almond crepes as well.
A Taste of Mexico: Mexican Coffee Buns
In this section, I’d like to introduce you to the flavorful world of Mexican Coffee Buns. Also known as “kopi roti”, these delicious buns are a unique fusion of coffee and bread, perfect for your next cup of tea.
The Secret Behind Soft Bun Perfection
To achieve the softest, most irresistible bun, we’ll be using a blend of bread flour and purpose flour. Bread flour has a higher protein content, providing our dough with extra elasticity and an irresistibly soft texture.
Magic Happens in a Warm Place
The secret to the perfect rise? Instant yeast and a warm place to let our bread dough work its magic. Remember to cover the dough with cling wrap to prevent it from drying out while it rises.
Crafting the Perfect Dough Ball
Our next step in crafting these delicious coffee buns is creating dough balls. On a clean work surface, we’ll roll our bread dough into equal parts, shaping them into a round ball, ready for the next step.
Top of the Buns: The Cookie Crust
The Mexican Coffee Bun recipe wouldn’t be complete without a crispy coffee cookie crust on top. Using softened butter, brown sugar, and instant coffee powder, we’ll create a coffee mixture that’s ready for piping.
The Art of Piping: Coffee Batter
Armed with a piping bag, we’ll pipe the coffee batter onto the top of the buns, creating a beautiful pattern that’ll become a crispy coffee crust as it bakes.
Fill ‘Em Up: Butter Filling Bliss
The unsalted butter filling in these buns provides a surprise burst of flavor. We’ll cream butter and a pinch of salt, then stuff the dough balls with this cold butter mixture, sealing in the deliciousness.
Ready, Set, Bake!
Now that our buns are prepped and filled, it’s time to place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. After a short stay in a preheated toaster oven, we’ll be ready to enjoy our delicious coffee buns.
Preserve the Yumminess
To keep your Mexican Coffee Buns fresh, store them in an airtight container. If you’re saving some for next time, simply wrap them in cling film before placing them in the container.
There you have it – my delectable Mexican Coffee Buns recipe, ready for you to try. As you savor each bite, I hope you find as much joy in these buns as I do. Be sure to serve them with your favorite cup of coffee, such as a nice iced vanilla latte or a classic cup of white coffee Happy baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk, beaten (for egg wash)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and instant coffee powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the active dry yeast in warm milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Add the softened butter and beaten egg to the yeast mixture. Mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- After an hour, punch down the dough and divide it into 12 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the dough balls with a damp towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Brush the risen buns with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Let the buns cool on a wire rack before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g