When it comes to Subway sandwiches, the Italian herb and cheese bread is a fan favourite. If you’re a fan of this flavourful and aromatic bread, you’ll love our Italian herb and cheese bread Subway recipe. This copycat recipe will help you recreate this beloved bread at home, using simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions. So, no need to make a Subway run the next time you’re craving this delicious bread. You can simply whip it up in your kitchen!
Getting Started with the Italian Herb and Cheese Bread Subway Recipe
Before you begin, ensure you have all your ingredients ready. This includes active dry yeast, bread flour, whole wheat flour, potato flakes, and a mix of herbs for that distinctive Italian seasoning. You’ll also need some mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and monterey jack cheese for the cheesy goodness that makes this bread so irresistible.
Creating the Dough using a Stand Mixer
Start your Italian herb and cheese bread Subway recipe by creating the dough. Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and then use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment to combine them. Gradually add warm water and olive oil to the mixture. The dough will be a little sticky, but don’t worry, that’s normal. Once the dough pulls away from the bottom of the bowl, you know it’s ready!
Letting the Dough Rise
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place. This step is crucial to achieving the soft Subway style bread we all love. The dough should double in size, which will take about an hour. Use this time to prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Dividing and Shaping the Dough
After the dough has risen, divide it into equal pieces depending on how many loaves you want to make. Each piece of dough should be rolled out on a lightly floured work surface and shaped into a loaf. Place each loaf on your prepared baking sheet.
Adding the Herbs and Cheese
Now comes the fun part of the Italian herb and cheese bread Subway recipe – adding the flavorful herbs and cheese! Brush a little butter on top of each loaf and sprinkle a generous amount of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and grated cheese. This is what gives the bread its distinctive flavour and aroma.
Baking the Bread
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. The smell of homemade bread filled with tasty bread and melted cheese will fill your kitchen.
Enjoying Your Homemade Italian Herb and Cheese Bread
Once the bread has cooled, you can slice it and enjoy it with your favorite sandwich fillings. Whether you love Subway’s Italian herb and cheese bread with marinara sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, half banana peppers, or your favorite sauce, there are so many great options to choose from!
Storing Your Homemade Bread
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in freezer bags. This way, you can enjoy your homemade Italian herb and cheese bread any time you like. It’s a great way to have your favorite Subway bread option at your disposal at all times.
Wrapping Up Our Italian Herb and Cheese Bread Subway Recipe
This Italian herb and cheese bread Subway recipe is not only delicious but also fun to make. The best part is that you can tweak it to suit your taste buds. Want to make it more cheesy? Add more cheese! Want it to be more herby? Throw in more herbs! The possibilities are endless. So go ahead, give it a try and enjoy the real thing at home!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine warm water and sugar, stirring until sugar is mostly dissolved. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it becomes frothy.
- Add olive oil, bread flour, and salt to the yeast mixture. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is soft and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour, but be careful not to make it too dry.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a long, baguette-like loaf. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dried herbs, garlic powder, and salt to make the herb topping.
- Brush the loaf with a bit of water or olive oil and sprinkle the herb mixture evenly over the top. Then, cover the loaf with the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
This bread is best consumed on the day it's made, but it can also be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrates: 39gNet Carbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 8g