Remember those delicious rectangular pizzas served in the school cafeteria during your elementary, middle, and high school days? Today, we’re bringing back those memories with a school lunch fiestada pizza recipe that you can make at home. Mexican cafeteria-style pizza was a favorite school lunch for many of us, and now you can recreate this tasty dish for your own family. So, let’s dive in and learn how to make this delicious, nostalgic meal.
Why we love this school lunch fiestada pizza recipe
For many of us, pizza day was the highlight of our school week. The smell of that tomato sauce and melted cheese wafting through the air, the excitement as we stood in line waiting for our slice… it’s a memory that’s hard to forget. This school lunch fiestada pizza recipe is a way to bring back those memories and share them with our own families. Plus, it’s an easy recipe to make, with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
Step one: Brown the ground beef
Start by browning some ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. You can also use ground turkey, chicken, or even Italian sausage if you prefer. Cook the meat until it’s no longer pink, then drain off any excess grease.
Step two: Add the taco seasoning
Next, it’s time to add some flavor to the meat. Stir in some taco seasoning and cook according to the package directions. This will give the beef that delicious, Mexican-inspired taste that makes this pizza so special.
Step three: Prepare the pizza sauce
In a medium mixing bowl, combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and a little bit of hot sauce (if you like some heat). Mix it all together until smooth and well combined.
Step four: Assemble the pizza
Now comes the fun part – assembling the pizza! Start by spreading a thin layer of the pizza sauce onto a prepared pizza crust (you can use store-bought or make your own). Next, sprinkle the seasoned ground beef evenly over the sauce. Finally, top it all off with a generous layer of shredded cheddar cheese.
Step five: Bake your fiestada pizza
Pop the pizza into a preheated oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the crust is golden brown. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of your crust and your oven, so be sure to keep an eye on it! Once it’s done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Step six: Enjoy your homemade school lunch fiestada pizza!
Once your pizza has cooled a bit, it’s time to dig in and enjoy! This recipe is perfect for a fun family dinner, a nostalgic lunch, or even a tasty snack during the big game. And the next time you’re craving that old-school pizza from your school days, you’ll know exactly how to make it.
Other nostalgic recipes to try
If you loved this school lunch fiestada pizza recipe, be sure to check out some of our other nostalgic recipes for more delicious, memory-filled meals:
- McDonalds Pancake Recipe: Easy Copycat Hotcakes for Breakfast
- Taro Bun Recipe: Sweet Steamed Yam Bread for Delicious Taro Buns
- Jamaican Fruit Cake Recipe: Best Rum-Soaked Black Cake to Try
We hope you enjoy this school lunch fiestada pizza recipe and all the memories it brings back. Happy cooking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet or pizza pan with non-stick spray or a little bit of vegetable oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Add the water and vegetable oil, mixing until a soft dough forms. If needed, add more water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large hexagon (or circle if you prefer) about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet or pizza pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef or turkey until browned and cooked through. Drain any excess grease, then add the taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the meat mixture has thickened.
- Spread the refried beans evenly over the pizza crust, leaving about 1/2-inch border around the edges. Top with the cooked taco meat, spreading it evenly over the beans.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Sprinkle the cheese mixture evenly over the taco meat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced green bell pepper, and chopped green onions, distributing them evenly over the cheese.
- Bake the Fiestada pizza in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing it into six to eight pieces.
- Serve your Fiestada pizza with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole on the side, if desired.
This recipe can be easily customized with your favorite toppings, and you can also use store-bought pizza dough to save time if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 37gNet Carbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 22g