If you’re a fan of Costco’s Tuxedo cake but don’t have a Costco near you or prefer to make your own, then this blog post is for you. We’ve scoured the internet, especially YouTube, to bring you a simple and easy to follow Costco Tuxedo cake recipe. This delicious cake is a chocolate lover’s dream with various layers of rich chocolate cake, white cake layers, and creamy chocolate mousse. So, let’s dive in and find out how to recreate this incredible tuxedo cake at home.
What makes Costco Tuxedo Cake so special?
The special occasion appeal of the Costco Tuxedo cake comes from its different layers. The layers of moist chocolate cake and white cake layers are separated by a thick layer of creamy chocolate mousse and white chocolate filling. This gives the cake a showstopping dessert look that’s perfect for any event, from a birthday cake to a Christmas tuxedo chocolate mousse cake.
Breaking Down the Costco Tuxedo Cake Recipe
This Costco Tuxedo Mousse cake is no ordinary cake. It’s a multi-layered cake with a combination of dark chocolate cake layers, white cake layers, and creamy chocolate mousse layers. The entire recipe involves using separate bowls to mix the cake batter for the different layers. And don’t forget the white chocolate ganache which gives an extra touch of sweetness to the cake.
Getting Started: Gathering the Ingredients
The first inspiration for making this delicious cake is gathering your ingredients. You’ll need cream cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream all at room temperature. Egg yolks, large and small saucepans, and dry ingredients like cocoa powder are also essential for the chocolate cake recipe.
Prepping the Cake Pans
Before you start mixing your Costco cake batter, you’ll need to prep your cake pans. This recipe calls for three inch pans. Line your pans with parchment paper rounds to ensure your layers of cake come out easily.
Crafting the Dark Chocolate Cake Layers
For the dark chocolate cake layers, start with the dry ingredients including cocoa powder, baking soda, and a hint of espresso powder for added depth of chocolate flavor. The cake batter will have the consistency of clay, ready to be divided into the cake pans.
Creating the White Chocolate Mousse
For the white chocolate mousse, you’ll need a double boiler, egg whites, and heavy cream. The key to the best cake mousse is whisking the egg whites on high speed with a whisk attachment until they form stiff peaks. The result is a decadent, creamy mousse that pairs perfectly with the white layers of the cake.
Finishing with the Dark Chocolate Ganache
The final touch to this Costco’s Tuxedo cake is the dark chocolate ganache. This ganache is made over medium heat and poured over the top of the cake. You can let it drip down the edge of the cake for an eye-catching finish.
Costco Tuxedo Cake: A Love Spell for Chocolate Lovers
Once assembled, your Costco Tuxedo cake will be a chocolate lover’s dream. The beauty of this cake is not just in its appearance, but also in its taste. With every bite, you get a taste of the dark chocolate mousse, white chocolate mixture, and the chocolate buttercream. It’s a love spell in cake form.
Final Thoughts on Costco Tuxedo Cake Recipe
Whether it’s a special occasion or you’re just in the mood for a delicious cake, this Costco Tuxedo cake recipe is a must-try. It might look challenging at first, but with the right ingredients and a little patience, you’ll be able to create a masterpiece that might even rival the original Costco cake. So, why wait? Put on your apron and let’s get baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
white chocolate mousse
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
dark chocolate mousse
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter three 9-inch cake pans. Set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water into the mixture, ensuring to mix well. The batter may seem thin, but that's the consistency we're looking for.
- Distribute the cake batter evenly among the three prepared cake pans and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the dark chocolate mousse. Melt the dark chocolate chips with half a cup of heavy cream over a double boiler. Once melted, remove from heat and let it cool down. Then, whip the remaining cream with vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Repeat the same process for the white chocolate mousse.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, you can start to assemble. Place one layer on a serving plate, spread the dark chocolate mousse evenly on top, then place another layer of cake. Spread the white chocolate mousse on this layer and top it with the final layer of cake.
- For the ganache, heat the heavy cream until it just begins to simmer and then pour over the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Let it sit for a few minutes before stirring until smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the assembled cake, starting at the center and working outwards. Let it drip down the sides for that classic tuxedo cake look.
- Allow the cake to set in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
If you're planning to make this cake for a special event, you can make the cake layers and mousse a day ahead, then assemble and frost the day of the event for the best results.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 600Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 70gNet Carbohydrates: 65gFiber: 5gSugar: 50gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 10g