Are you tired of the same old snacks and looking for something delicious yet healthy? Well, look no further! We have just the thing for you: fried salmon nuggets. These crispy air fryer bites are not only incredibly tasty, but they also pack a punch in terms of nutrition. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of making these mouth-watering treats. So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why Choose Fried Salmon Nuggets?
Salmon is known for its numerous health benefits, including being an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Additionally, it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help promote heart health and reduce inflammation. By choosing to make fried salmon nuggets, you’re not only treating yourself to a delicious snack but also providing your body with essential nutrients. Plus, using an air fryer to cook these nuggets means you’ll be using less oil, making them a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried snacks.
Preparing the Salmon
Start by choosing fresh salmon fillets from your local grocery store. If you’re unsure about the freshness of the fish, don’t hesitate to ask the staff for assistance. Once you have your salmon, cut it into bite-sized cubes and set aside. Make sure to pat the salmon pieces dry with paper towels before proceeding to the next step. This will help the breading stick to the salmon and ensure a crispy texture in the final product.
Breading the Salmon Nuggets
In a large bowl, combine your choice of coating mix, such as panko breadcrumbs, almond flour, or a mix of both. Feel free to get creative and add your favorite seasonings like cajun seasoning, garlic powder, or parmesan cheese. In a separate bowl, prepare a wet mixture by whisking together ingredients like egg, dijon mustard, and lemon or lime juice.
Dip the salmon cubes into the wet mixture, ensuring they are fully coated. Then, dredge them in the breading mixture, pressing gently to ensure the coating sticks. Shake off any excess flour and set the coated nuggets aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Prepping the Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) and prepare the air fryer basket by spraying it with cooking spray or lightly coating it with olive oil or avocado oil. This will prevent the salmon nuggets from sticking and ensure a crispy texture.
Cooking the Fried Salmon Nuggets
Once the air fryer is preheated, arrange the breaded salmon nuggets in a single layer in the basket, making sure they are not touching. Cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they are golden brown and cooked through. If needed, cook the nuggets in batches to avoid overcrowding the air fryer.
Serving the Crispy Air Fryer Salmon Bites
When the nuggets are cooked to perfection, carefully remove them from the air fryer basket and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve your fried salmon nuggets with your favorite dipping sauce, such as tartar sauce, soy sauce, or a mix of greek yogurt, hot sauce, and green onions.
Storing and Reheating Fried Salmon Nuggets
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the nuggets on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through.
More Delicious Salmon Recipes
- Salmon Breakfast Ideas: Delicious Ways to Start Your Day
- Costco Stuffed Salmon Recipe
- Masterbuilt Smoked Salmon Recipe
Wrapping It Up
Fried salmon nuggets are a delicious way to enjoy the health benefits of salmon while indulging in a tasty treat. Using an air fryer to cook these nuggets means you’ll be using less oil, making them a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried snacks. We hope this guide inspires you to try this easy salmon recipe and enjoy it with your whole family. Don’t forget to leave a star rating in the recipe card below and let us know how your crispy air fryer salmon bites turned out!
- 1 lb fresh salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Optional: lemon wedges and dipping sauce, for serving
- Prepare the salmon: Cut the salmon fillets into 1 1/2-inch nuggets. Set aside.
- Set up your breading station: In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with the water. In a third shallow dish, mix the panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bread the salmon nuggets: Dredge each salmon nugget first in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess, then dip into the egg mixture, and finally coat with the panko-Parmesan mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Place the breaded nuggets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a wire rack.
- Heat the oil: Pour vegetable oil into a deep frying pan or Dutch oven until it reaches a depth of about 1 1/2 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat to 350°F (180°C). Use a thermometer to ensure the correct temperature.
- Fry the salmon nuggets: Carefully lower the breaded nuggets, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried nuggets to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve: Let the nuggets cool slightly before serving with lemon wedges and your favorite dipping sauce, such as tartar sauce, sweet chili sauce, or honey mustard.
For a healthier alternative, you can bake the salmon nuggets in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. You can also use an air fryer to cook the nuggets at 400°F (200°C) for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy and cooked through. Remember to flip halfway through the cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 42gNet Carbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 35g